Installing PostgreSQL with Heimdal Kerberos support

Robert Fitzpatrick robert at webtent.com
Tue May 25 07:25:27 PDT 2004

I recently portupgraded PostgreSQL 7.3.4 on my FreeBSD 5.2.1 server to
PG 7.4.2 with Kerberos support. Everything installed fine and the
database running fine. When I went to upgrade PHP over the weekend, I
found 'Undefined dependencies' with krb5 for the pgsql support in PHP.
After posting that information to the PostgreSQL list and getting some
help on the FreeBSD Questions, I found that the linker did not get set
correctly, now looking for what I did wrong. I assume since the
PostgreSQL port asks whether you want Kerberos support, it should handle
this if I have things setup right? I have Heimdal 0.6 and this in my
/etc/make.conf relating to Kerberos file when installing PGSQL:

KRB5_HOME=/usr/local
HEIMDAL_HOME=/usr/local
MAKE_KERBEROS5=yes
WITH_HEIMDAL_KRB5=yes

>From the looks of the Makefile for PGSQL, that should get it done, do
you know what I might be doing wrong? My Heimdal is under /usr/local,
but I have a symbolic link from /usr/bin/krb5-config to
/usr/local/bin/krb5-config. Or, where should I place the linker (-lkrb5
perhaps as suggested by someone on the Questions list)? Also, how can I
tell that all was installed correctly?

--
Robert