heanet.dl.sf.net slowness

Christopher Nehren apeiron at comcast.net
Thu May 20 16:52:09 PDT 2004

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 19:12:06 EDT, Robin Schoonover scribbled these
curious markings:
> This is just a workaround of actually changing MASTER_SITE_SOURCEFORGE,
> but...
>
> If you set RANDOMIZE_MASTER_SITES in make.conf or on the make command
> line (such as make fetch RANDOMIZE_MASTER_SITES=yes), that should
> randomize which master site you use.

I don't want it to hit heanet at all. There's still a 1 in 3 chance that
it does with RANDOMIZE. I get much better speeds from aleron (haven't
tested umn, as aleron is the mirror that I've used on my own for as long
as I've used SourceForge).

Recalling the email that started it all, it was more than two months
ago. Is the situation still present? Fetching from SourceForge was fine
before then.

Please don't mistake this as a personal attack. I love the effort put
into the FreeBSD ports tree. I just don't love going from > 300 kB/s to
< 30 on average, especially with large distfiles (though even smaller
distfiles are a pain at 15 kB/s, which was the straw that broke this
camel's back).

pejorative meaning "stupid and unsophisticated".  -- Ken Thompson
-
-
Please CC me in all replies, even if I'm on the relevant list(s).