heanet.dl.sf.net slowness

John Merryweather Cooper johnmary at adelphia.net
Thu May 20 17:23:14 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 16:52, Christopher Nehren wrote:
> On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 19:12:06 EDT, Robin Schoonover scribbled these
> curious markings:
> > This is just a workaround of actually changing MASTER_SITE_SOURCEFORGE,
> > but...
> >
> > If you set RANDOMIZE_MASTER_SITES in make.conf or on the make command
> > line (such as make fetch RANDOMIZE_MASTER_SITES=yes), that should
> > randomize which master site you use.
>
> I don't want it to hit heanet at all. There's still a 1 in 3 chance that
> it does with RANDOMIZE. I get much better speeds from aleron (haven't
> tested umn, as aleron is the mirror that I've used on my own for as long
> as I've used SourceForge).
>
> Recalling the email that started it all, it was more than two months
> ago. Is the situation still present? Fetching from SourceForge was fine
> before then.
>
> Please don't mistake this as a personal attack. I love the effort put
> into the FreeBSD ports tree. I just don't love going from > 300 kB/s to
> < 30 on average, especially with large distfiles (though even smaller
> distfiles are a pain at 15 kB/s, which was the straw that broke this
> camel's back).

The problem is that bandwidth varies by location, etc.  For example, I
just downloaded a 9 meg distfile during a portupgrade run from heanet at
greater than 256 kB/s.  I'm in the Pacific Northwest (and near a major
university), but your mileage may obviously differ based on the
ever-changing routing conditions from heanet to you.

jmc