cvs commit: ports/devel/libvanessa_adt Makefile pkg-plist ports/devel/libvanessa_adt/files patch-ltmain.sh

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Tue Mar 23 16:09:13 PST 2004

On Tuesday 23 March 2004 21:24, Mark Linimon wrote:

> Although it has indeed been discussed to death, it has never made
> it into the Porter's Handbook.  Since you are familiar with the
> rationale (I, personally, do not remember), could you possibly
> summarize the purpose that they serve so that I can write up a PR
> against the Handbook?

lt_dlopen() from libltdl requires libtool-archives in order to work. There is
no consensus about the question if a working lt_dlopen is worth having
libtool archives installed by all ports which do provide them by default
(many do). Some people have suggested to fix libltdl to use FreeBSD's native
dlopen(), however, to my knowledge there have been no patches against libltdl
as of date and many projects include libltdl in their own sources if they're
using it.

Also, it should be noted that the prime motivation to remove ".la files" are
the warnings from portlint (and sometimes complaints from users/committers
who do not know about libltdl). If those warnings were removed, there would
be no requirement to additionally document anything, IMHO.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org