cvs commit: ports/devel/libvanessa_adt Makefile pkg-plist ports/devel/libvanessa_adt/files patch-ltmain.sh

Doug Barton DougB at FreeBSD.org
Wed Mar 24 13:57:18 PST 2004

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Michael Nottebrock wrote:

> On Tuesday 23 March 2004 21:24, Mark Linimon wrote:
>
> > Although it has indeed been discussed to death, it has never made
> > it into the Porter's Handbook.  Since you are familiar with the
> > rationale (I, personally, do not remember), could you possibly
> > summarize the purpose that they serve so that I can write up a PR
> > against the Handbook?
>
> lt_dlopen() from libltdl requires libtool-archives in order to work. There is
> no consensus about the question if a working lt_dlopen is worth having
> libtool archives installed by all ports which do provide them by default
> (many do). Some people have suggested to fix libltdl to use FreeBSD's native
> dlopen(), however, to my knowledge there have been no patches against libltdl
> as of date and many projects include libltdl in their own sources if they're
> using it.

This was my rememberance of the status of the discussion as well. That
is, they do no harm, and can do some good, so they should be preserved.

> Also, it should be noted that the prime motivation to remove ".la files" are
> the warnings from portlint (and sometimes complaints from users/committers
> who do not know about libltdl). If those warnings were removed, there would
> be no requirement to additionally document anything, IMHO.

Agreed on fixing portlint. Since you obviously have a good background on
this, perhaps you can suggest some edits for the porter's handbook?

Doug