rcNG-fy sysutils/daemontools

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Wed Jun 30 10:51:07 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 02:16:00AM +0900, Norikatsu Shigemura wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 19:10:00 +0300
> Peter Pentchev <roam at ringlet.net> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 11:08:29PM +0900, Norikatsu Shigemura wrote:
> > > Hi roam!
> > > 	Please update daemontools with following patch:-).
> > Ahh.. daemon(8) would indeed be a good idea :)

On second thoughts, daemon(8) might not be such a good idea after all.
Have you tested the startup script with your change?  At least on my
system, daemon(8) expects to be passed a program name (or path) and
arguments for that program as separate command-line parameters, and then
executes the program using execvp(3).  However, the string we are
passing is not a program name, not by a long shot :)  It's more suited
for execution via system(3) or, as it is, by 'sh -c'.  I don't think it
would be easy to convert it to daemon(8)-friendly format because of the
pipe involved: the best choice that comes to mind is something like
  /usr/sbin/daemon -f /bin/sh -c "$command ... | readproctitle ..."
...which makes the use of daemon(8) kinda pointless :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at sbnd.net    roam at FreeBSD.org
No language can express every thought unambiguously, least of all this one.