HEADSUP: please eliminate -lcompat usage in ports.

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Jun 21 10:30:23 PDT 2004

In message <20040621171843.GN7956 at sirius.firepipe.net>, Will Andrews writes:

>--uuKVzAmB+c+zQlhu
>
>On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 06:30:50PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>> We need to lighten our burden of backwards compatibility code and
>> libcompat is in the crosshairs.
>>=20
>> libcompat pertains to compatibility with FreeBSD-1 and earlier versions
>> of BSD.
>>=20
>> libcompat may or may not disappear in 5-stable, but it is 100%
>> certain to die in -current as soon as 5-stable has been branched.
>>=20
>> Therefore, please as soon as possible eliminate -lcompat use from
>> your ports.
>
>Questions:
>
>1) Why get rid of backwards compatibility?

Mostly because it requires us to compile complex and generally
unmaintained compatibility cruft into the kernel.

>2) Where is -lcompat used?  Are you talking of compat3x/compat4x?

No, this is not compat3x/compat4x.

A quick grep shows the string "-lcompat" at least the following
places.  Many of these ports will undoubtedly be able to autoconfigure
themselves to systems without libcompat.

	./astro/openuniverse
	./astro/sunclock/
	./astro/xphoon/
	./cad/chipmunk/