HEADSUP: please eliminate -lcompat usage in ports.

Ade Lovett ade at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jun 21 23:09:31 PDT 2004

On Jun 21, 2004, at 09:30, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> We need to lighten our burden of backwards compatibility code and
> libcompat is in the crosshairs.

Sure.

> libcompat pertains to compatibility with FreeBSD-1 and earlier versions
> of BSD.

Yup.

> libcompat may or may not disappear in 5-stable, but it is 100%
> certain to die in -current as soon as 5-stable has been branched.

Can I make a request that it remain in 5-stable, and be terminated with
extreme prejudice on 6-current as soon as the branch takes place?
Jumping from 4-stable to 5-stable is going to be big enough as it is,
and adding in an extra hoop will hurt.

Given the relatively small number (all though the emacs ones worry me)
number of ports, we could aim to fully deprecate by 5.4-STABLE.
Certainly the freeze before we move to 5.3-STABLE is not going to be
long enough to eliminate -lcompat, imo.

-aDe