upgrading ports

Dancho Penev dpenev at mnet.bg
Sat Aug 7 04:35:08 PDT 2004

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 02:56:45PM -0400, Adam Weinberger wrote:
>Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 14:56:45 -0400
>From: Adam Weinberger <adamw at freebsd.org>
>To: Dancho Penev <dpenev at mnet.bg>
>Cc: freebsd-ports at freebsd.org
>Subject: Re: upgrading ports
>
>>> (08.05.2004 @ 1654 PST): Dancho Penev said, in 0.8K: <<
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I wonder why ports system haven't possibilities for automatically upgrade ?
>> Do you have anything against ? or
>> It's like that because nobody doesn't create them yet, and everybody
>> use portupgrade.
>>> end of "upgrading ports" from Dancho Penev <<
>
>portupgrade is a really powerful program. If it weren't for the fact
>that it's written in ruby, it would most likely be distributed as part
>of the ports system. portupgrade is what everybody uses, and for that
>reason, nobody has written anything else to do what it does.

I haven't used portupgrade yet. I have no doubt that it's a very good
tool, but I think that systems like "ports system" must have build-in
support for features like that, instead to depends on extra programs.
Once again, don't get me wrong, I haven't anything against portupgrade,
but I'm feeling very well with "make deinstall" or "make install", so
why don't we have "make upgrade" for instance ? I'm working on something
similar and I just wonder why nobody was done this before, it's not a
big challenge, just a couple of lines.

--
Dancho Penev

GnuGP public key: http://www.mnet.bg/~dpenev/gnupg.asc
Key fingerprint: E88D 8B7B 3EF6 E9C8 C5D2  7554 2AA8 C347 71A1 4277