Second "RFC" on pkg-data idea for ports

Sergey Matveychuk sem at ciam.ru
Tue Apr 13 13:13:17 PDT 2004

Garance A Drosihn wrote:

>> Of course we could.
>> But we can't to change all mighty-unix-tools with any target
>> anyway.
>

> I am sorry, but I do not understand this sentence.  I am not
> sure what you mean by it.

I meant we'll can't make the search target so might as grep-awk-find
etc. tools is. E.g. I want to know how many files port has:
grep -v @dirrm pkg-plist | wc -l
(OK. It's may be not very accurate.)
But But idea is we don't know what info user want to get. With pkg-data
user need to extract data first. Even if extracting tools will easy to
use he need to know how these tools work (command lines, options etc.).

> of time and effort to make it happen.  I might be wrong about
> how useful this change is, but I (personally) at least *THINK*
> that it is worth doing.

OK, I can't say for most people. (Really I feel no need in it with my
two 160Gb disks at my home computer :)
I'll ask in russian mail list.

--
Sem.