Second "RFC" on pkg-data idea for ports

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Tue Apr 13 10:51:45 PDT 2004

At 11:16 AM -0400 4/13/04, Brian F. Feldman wrote:
>There are distinct advantages to separating content in
>different files: ....  This does not mean that I believe
>the proposal to be a bad idea: I think it is a good idea
>as a separate "source package" tree generated from the
>"ports" tree.

I would also say that I don't understand this comment. If
"the real" ports tree is not going to use the pkg-data ideas,
then why bother generating a second copy of the ports tree?
That just gives us more work to do, with zero benefits
("zero benefits" because everyone will still be using
"the real" ports tree).

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu