Ports conflicts: `lib/libiberty.a'

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 10 13:36:04 PDT 2003

Hello, Oliver!

>> OE> devel/*-binutils
>> OE>   include/ansidecl.h
>> OE>   include/bfd.h
>> OE>   include/bfdlink.h
>> OE>   lib/libbfd.a
>> OE>   lib/libbfd.la
>> OE>   lib/libiberty.a
>> OE>   lib/libopcodes.a
>> OE>   lib/libopcodes.la
>>   This is not a problem. Really, they are not used after installation.
OE> They why do you install them in the first place?
  Because ports doesn't have custom `make install'. And makefiles from
  binutils' authors install these files in case some other util could
  want to use them for standard disassemble operations, for example.
  But I don't know such utils. We have problem like this with `*.la'
  files from libtool. And we have special option for ports system to
  fix makefiles after libtool to disable `*.la' installation (it
  doesn't work in some cases, but works in MOST cases).

  I don't know how to properly prevent installation of these files
  except creating personal patch for every binutils port.

>> OE> devel/*-gcc:
>> OE>   bin/cpp
>> OE>   bin/gcov
>>   It is a problem, of course, but proper ports installs
>>   bin/%%TARGET%%-cpp and bin/%%TARGET%%-gcov. mingw32-gcc & msp430-gcc
>>    does exactly this.
OE> So we have some non-proper ports?
  Like so. Any modern versions of binutils & gcc adds target prefix for
  these files.

               Lev Serebryakov