Ports conflicts: `lib/libiberty.a'

Lev Serebryakov lev at serebryakov.spb.ru
Fri Oct 10 05:29:31 PDT 2003

Hello Michael,

>>   Many my ports have conflicts with other ones.
>>   And conflicting file is one: `lib/libiberty.a'.
>>   This file is installed by many variants of gvv, binutils & gdb.
>>   But I don't think, that this library is ever used after instllation.
>>   Each port build it again and again.
>>
>>   I don't think, it is good idea to "CONFLICTS=" all these binutils &
>>   gcc.
MN> AFAIK libiberty is actually indeed forked across all those projects and
MN> CONFLICTS would be correct. It all usually works out, but there's no guarantee...
  It is STATIC library! It could not be used by ALREADY compiled &
  installed ports! And ALL these ports compile this library by
  itself and use OWN version on build stage, and DON'T use installed
  library!

  And, If I write CONFLICTS=, based on `lib/libiberty.a', IT WILL BE
  IMPOSIIBLE to install cross-binutils & cross-gcc EVENT for one platform
  together! It is very strange situation, IMHO.
--
Best regards,
 Lev                            mailto:lev at serebryakov.spb.ru