mod_php ( new )

Jens Rehsack rehsack at liwing.de
Tue May 27 10:59:12 PDT 2003

On 5/27/2003 2:29 PM, Alex Dupre wrote:
> Tuesday, May 27, 2003, 1:35:00 PM, you wrote:
>
>>> The problem is not in my ports, but in others depending on mod_php4,
>
> JR> That's not completely true. That's the same reason as it is for 16 bit
> JR> real-mode on Pentium4 processors :-)
>
> =) If something is not optimal, I prefer to make it optimal and fix
> what depends on it :-)

That's why wrote "... I hope, Alex can fix the problems so that my pr
can closed without getting committed". I've seen your port and it worked
on my test system. But my php-environment is a little bit more
complicated, so I didn't run all build I had to test before kris took
the change back.

> JR> I maintain devel/php-dbg, but I need a working php port to fix the
> JR> problem devel/php-dbg has with new php4 port.
>
> I already have a patch for your port (since it's quite a copy of one
> of my php extension Makefile ;-)). BTW the php4 port is working,

It's not enough. Because of php-dbg supports client/server debugging, I
need the module and apache support. That's why I can start with
modifying when I have the new port. You may sent a diff to me and I
apply it on a test system and review the patch you made to the php debugger.

The devel/php-dbg port is like it is, because of there's only one php4
in ports: www/mod_php4. Before 4.3.0 (I started with the port at 4.2) I
wrote a Makefile similar to your bsd.php.mk (smaller), but with same
detection for shell, module (apache13, apache2), cgi. But than 4.3.0
came out and a lot of the work was deprecated.

So it might be best if I rewrote the port the way I like it or you send
me your patches and I review it and make the changes I want.

If you take a look into the patch in devel/php-dbg, what do you think
about the way to patch it in php installation with lang/php4?

> you may already fix the dependency (or wait untill the re-commit and
> the commit of the include makefile). Simply add USE_PHPIZE=yes and
> remove a lot of lines :-)

I don't hope so. The new port gives me some things back I missed and
I'll check the options I have. But I think you're right.

> JR> I've recognized it. Looks to be great work.
>
> Thanks :)
>
> JR> Than each port which depends on
> JR> mod_php4 could be checked separately without requiring a huge commit for
> JR> all ports.
>
> Some days ago I did a search for all ports depending incorrectly on
> mod_php4 (incorrectly for the new php/pear ports system, of course)
> and excepts ports maintained by Thierry Thomas and me (which are many,
> but we projected this change) there are very few others (about 4 or
> 5), so that's not a huge commit. Later, without hurry, we can adjust
> ports that correctly depends on mod_php4 to use the include Makefile.

Just a thought ...