FreeBSD 4.x & Perl ports (was Re: How to install perl-Tk)

parv parv at pair.com
Mon Dec 15 15:55:07 PST 2003

in message <3FDE0D90.8010607 at math.missouri.edu>, wrote Stephen
Montgomery-Smith thusly...

> I see that this command actually replaces /usr/bin/perl with
> a link to /usr/local/bin/perl.  Is it possible that running such
> a command could mess up the base system (since I have seen
> messages to the effect that parts of the base system relies on the
> fact that the base perl is the old one).  Or does the base system
> usually use perl5, which I notice that the above command does not
> change?

Some/All of the issues have discussed in past; search the archive
(somewhere).

I have not used "use.perl"; i have done what it does and some more
myself.  OTOH, others seem to be happy/satisfied w/ use.perl use.
To get some details, see...

  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/58406
  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/57151
  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/57134
  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/41513

...and there was another PR/mail thread (perhaps related to
razor-agents) which discussed the installation of the modules (by
some ports) even when the dependency modules are already available in
Perl 5.8(.2).

  - Parv