How to install perl-Tk

Stephen Montgomery-Smith stephen at math.missouri.edu
Mon Dec 15 11:37:54 PST 2003

Andy Harrison wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 12:43:12 -0600
> Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen at math.missouri.edu> wrote:
>

>>Presumably I need to install the
>> perl5.8 port, but I don't know what to do after that.
>

> Usage:
>   /usr/local/bin/use.perl port       -> /usr/bin/perl is the perl5 port
>   /usr/local/bin/use.perl system     -> /usr/bin/perl is the system perl

Thanks for the info.  I have now been able to install the p5-Tk port.

I see that this command actually replaces /usr/bin/perl with a link to
/usr/local/bin/perl.  Is it possible that running such a command could mess up
the base system (since I have seen messages to the effect that parts of the base
system relies on the fact that the base perl is the old one).  Or does the base
system usually use perl5, which I notice that the above command does not change?

Thanks, Stephen