Upgrading php with pkg

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 23 17:46:28 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 05:48:46PM +0100, Ivan Voras wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's time for my yearly rant about pkg seemingly not being able to upgrade
> whole sets of dependencies while installing or upgrading packages.
>
> In short, if we have this:
>
> package A depends on package B, which depends on package C
>
> ...upgrading package B *must always* result in an upgrade to package A, and
> *must* cause an upgrade of package C *iff* the new version of package B is
> linked with a different version of package C (e.g. if it depends on a newer
> version of package C).
>
> Using heuristics such as checking versions encoded in .so filenames are
> rarely enough because (upstream) developers are lazy. I can give examples
> from the PHP-Apache-PostgreSQL stack at request.
>
> If this is not done, we have the situation described here:
> http://ivoras.net/blog/tree/2015/Feb-why-freebsds-pkg-sucks.html
>
> The post is somewhat strongly worded, and I believe it will be even more
> strongly worded a year from now ;)

The only problem here is the lack of developers and of time, btw this is not
interdependency this is cherry-picking, interdependency works well when
upgrading all at one. Beside what some people would like the ports tree and
packages is a whole thing. Either you upgrade everything or you do not...
This is what non frozen packages gives you, you may like it or not this is how
it is, and it is mostly impossible to prevent that without an important work on
both the port side and the pkg side.

BTW: using strong words might sound fun, but the only reaction achieved with
that is demotivation... We are doing what we can with very few resources, if one
want to see this fixed and/or properly handled this is clearly not with strong
words...

Bapt