Upgrading php with pkg

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Mon Feb 23 16:49:28 UTC 2015

Hi,

It's time for my yearly rant about pkg seemingly not being able to upgrade
whole sets of dependencies while installing or upgrading packages.

In short, if we have this:

package A depends on package B, which depends on package C

...upgrading package B *must always* result in an upgrade to package A, and
*must* cause an upgrade of package C *iff* the new version of package B is
linked with a different version of package C (e.g. if it depends on a newer
version of package C).

Using heuristics such as checking versions encoded in .so filenames are
rarely enough because (upstream) developers are lazy. I can give examples
from the PHP-Apache-PostgreSQL stack at request.

If this is not done, we have the situation described here:
http://ivoras.net/blog/tree/2015/Feb-why-freebsds-pkg-sucks.html

The post is somewhat strongly worded, and I believe it will be even more
strongly worded a year from now ;)