Was Re: PF bugs now PF reporting utility

Gleb Smirnoff glebius at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jun 25 15:24:02 UTC 2013

  Cameron,

On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 04:22:54PM +1000, Cameron Simpson wrote:
C> On 23Jun2013 00:55, Nikos Vassiliadis <nvass at gmx.com> wrote:
C> | Things are just different for quite a while now and they are growing
C> | even more differently.
C>
C> Just a small related thing: are underlying things compatible? Specificly I am
C> wondering can I CARP and pfsync between FreeBSD and OpenBSD?

Newer OpenBSD utilises additional field in CARP PDU, that isn't
filled, neither analyzed by FreeBSD.

After quick reading of OpenBSD CARP code, it seems that it should
interoperate fine with older CARP from OpenBSD, and thus with CARP
in FreeBSD.

Note that in FreeBSD 10 the way CARP is configured has changed a lot,
but the wire protocol is the same.

Regarding pfsync. It is wire compatible with the version of the last
import from OpenBSD. And last time I looked into OpenBSD (a year ago),
it was still wire compatible.

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.