strange "throttling" issue with pf on xDSL connection

jonathan michaels jlm at caamora.com.au
Thu Aug 2 12:54:50 UTC 2007

patrick,

thank you fro the prompt reply, hope its not too late in your part of
teh world.. its just gone 9:45 pm here in australia.

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 01:34:10PM +0200, Patrick Proniewski wrote:
> On 02 août 2007, at 12:43, jonathan michaels wrote:
>
> > i'm just started up his authored "/etc/pc.conf" file and i saw the
> > error messages that patrick reported a few days ago ..
>
> do you mean that kind of message: "pflogd[410]: [priv]: msg
> PRIV_OPEN_LOG received" ?

yes, patrick, as best as i can tell it is the same, except, for teh
[410] mine says [336] i've gone back over teh last few days of tehis
thread and all that you have described is happening here.

> I don't think it's an error message. It's a debug message. Depending
> on the traffic, it will show up every hours or every two/three/four
> hours...

yes it does that, 'cept min is every 2 hours, some times it it only an
hour betwwen log entries.

> > i didnot notice much when i started pf at 1145 pm but this morning and
> > now more nociceably the netwprk is getting more sluggish esp' whenever
> > i do ssh based connection, or sudo "channeled" for root priv's
> > software, admin tasks.
>
> > it is all pretty much as patric describes but i am not on xdsl
>
> it looks like it's not the same problem. Your connection become
> sluggish with time, mine is throttled from the beginning and regain
> full speed when I disable pf.

i just stoppped pf and restarted it after an hour or so (you should
have seen teh sshd storm in like there is no tomorrow, not so grin) and
on restarting pf the same slugishness was instantly there.. it was
there. last night well it was a long day after lots, lots of of
computer, system related trouble after three weeks and the medication
it was hard to notices how things were going on.

> May be your computer is swamped in swap ? may be your pf config makes
> you log too many things and your HD is full ?, ...

top reports load as "0 .1 .2" the hard drive is local 56 scsi RAID with
a compaq 4200 RAID box attached with 64/80 wire cable it has 14 SCSI3
UW 10Krpm drives of 18 Gb (soon to be replaced with new fujitsu drives
of 147 Gb or 300 Gb .. as soon as i can determine network load /
requirements). the machine has several gb swap and 4 gb of dram

now that pf seems to be doing a reasonable job of keepimg teh nasties on
teh right side of teh firewall i can start to make plans.

thanks patrick