strange "throttling" issue with pf on xDSL connection

Patrick Proniewski patpro at patpro.net
Thu Aug 2 11:34:14 UTC 2007

On 02 août 2007, at 12:43, jonathan michaels wrote:

> i'm just started up his authored "/etc/pc.conf" file and i saw the
> error messages that patrick reported a few days ago ..

do you mean that kind of message: "pflogd[410]: [priv]: msg
PRIV_OPEN_LOG received" ?

I don't think it's an error message. It's a debug message. Depending
on the traffic, it will show up every hours or every two/three/four
hours...

> i didnot notice much when i started pf at 1145 pm but this morning and
> now more nociceably the netwprk is getting more sluggish esp' whenever
> i do ssh based connection, or sudo "channeled" for root priv's
> software, admin tasks.

> it is all pretty much as patric describes but i am not on xdsl

it looks like it's not the same problem. Your connection become
sluggish with time, mine is throttled from the beginning and regain
full speed when I disable pf.
May be your computer is swamped in swap ? may be your pf config makes
you log too many things and your HD is full ?, ...

patpro