Pf in 4.11

Christopher McGee chris at xecu.net
Fri May 13 18:48:11 PDT 2005

Greg Hennessy wrote:

>>As for the queuing method, i've read that cbq is a more
>>refined/reliable than hfsc right now.
>>

>Cant say I've had reliability problems with HFSC.
>
>It does require the sacrifice of several barnyard fowl to configure
>correctly, but I digress.
>

>>Anyway, why would ACK
>>prioritization be necessary on the pf/altq setup vs the
>>ipfw/dummynet setup?
>>

>Never having had the pleasure of using dummynet/ipfw I couldn't possibly
>comment.
>
>But I would always recommend configuring some form of ACKPRI on a congested
>link.
>Backoff will kill tcp traffic otherwise.
>

>Greg
>

>>Chris

The problem seems to be solved, although I will know for sure over the
next couple days.  I am now using my full pipe and everything seems to
be working.  I enabled RED on the big queue, queue1.  I also set the
default queue(queue0) to priority 7, and dropped the qlength back to
default(50) on both queues.  Everything seems to be flowing smoothly but
I will probably do the ACK prioritization after I see how it runs like
this for a day or 2.  I don't like to make too many changes at one
time.  In essence, I think the default queue being set at high priority
has the same effect, but I have to read a little more about it to ensure
that is the case.  Thank you everyone for your help on this.  I really
didn't want to have to switch back to 4.11 for this project.

Chris