Plans for 6-CURRENT and 5-STABLE

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Tue Oct 19 08:57:04 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 19 October 2004 17:11, Michael C. Cambria wrote:
> Max Laier wrote:
>
> [deleted]
>
> > One of the more serious problems we have to address is how (and if) we
> > stay in sync with OpenBSD. As far as I understand it is suggested not to
> > change any kernel <-> userland API/ABI during a -STABLE cycle. This
> > effectively means that we can *not* track OpenBSD releases in -STABLE
> > since they tend to change API/ABI a lot. I think, however, that PF as of
> > OpenBSD 3.5 (the one we have now as part of 5-STABLE) is already very
> > mature and will serve well for the coming <2 years until we will move on
> > to 6-STABLE.
>
> Can there be a port that does track OpenBSD?  Those who want to stay
> close to OpenBSD on 5-Stable can then use the port.

I will try to make it possible to do a
 cvs co -rRELENG_5 src
 cvs up -dA src/contrib/pf src/sys/contrib/pf
and rebuild to obtain the latest version in a RELENG_5 tree. Building from a
port and thus having to use pf as module is nothing I'd consider a good
solution.

On a sidenote: I am going to remove security/pf and security/authpf in a
couple of weeks. I still see ~100 downloads per day of the *outdated* sources
and want to make it a bit harder for people to use this.

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org