p5-Git-Repository

Barrie Archer enquiry at myarcher.net
Mon Jul 7 18:46:22 UTC 2014

   From an simple user's point of view this is exactly what is required,
   (a) a warning that things may go wrong, and (b) a probable cause if
   they do.
   Regards
   Barrie

   On 07/07/2014 17:27, Ryan Steinmetz wrote:

     On (07/07/14 18:19), Baptiste Daroussin wrote:

     [1]<zi at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
     >| We should either add workarounds for older systems or a warning
     >| that will be printed if a user is running a FreeBSD release that
     lacks
     >| required functionality for the ports tree to function.
     >
     >Well, the ports tree is only guaranteed to work with supported
     FreeBSD
     >releases. So, if you're not running a supported release, you're on
     your own.

     >We can't add bits and pieces of version checks around everything
     that won't
     >work with older releases.
     We know what the supported releases are and we can easily add a
     check
     to the framework to verify that you are running a supported release
     and
     print a message if not.  This would be identical to what was done
     with
     the PKGNG checks/warnings.
     The goal is to give the user a useful message ("You are using an
     unsupported version, please upgrade.") versus the errors that Barrie
     ran
     into ("Unknown modifier 't'" or "make: fatal errors encountered --
     cannot continue").

     Except that is that case it is impossible to catch it reliably, some
     impossible
     to warn about it.

     We don't need to catch anything.  We simply need:
     .if (${OSVERSION} >= 902510 && ${OSVERSION} < 1000000) ||
     ${OSVERSION} >= 1000704
     ${ECHO} "You are using an unsupported release.  The ports tree may
     not
     function correctly.  Please update to a supported release for the
     best
     experience.  See [2]http://.....freebsd.org/... for a list of
     supported
     releases.
     .endif
     Obviously the versions are not correct, but, again, the goal is to
     give
     people something to work with.  Just like what we did with the PKGNG
     warnings.
     -r

     regards,
     Bapt

   --Certified Virus Free by 4SecureMail.com ICSA-Certified Scanner--