p5-Git-Repository

Ryan Steinmetz zi at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jul 7 16:27:38 UTC 2014

On (07/07/14 18:19), Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
>On Mon, Jul 07, 2014 at 12:13:18PM -0400, Ryan Steinmetz wrote:

>> >Well, the ports tree is only guaranteed to work with supported FreeBSD
>> >releases. So, if you're not running a supported release, you're on your own.
>> >
>> >We can't add bits and pieces of version checks around everything that won't
>> >work with older releases.
>>
>> We know what the supported releases are and we can easily add a check
>> to the framework to verify that you are running a supported release and
>> print a message if not.  This would be identical to what was done with
>> the PKGNG checks/warnings.
>>
>> The goal is to give the user a useful message ("You are using an
>> unsupported version, please upgrade.") versus the errors that Barrie ran
>> into ("Unknown modifier 't'" or "make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue").
>
>Except that is that case it is impossible to catch it reliably, some impossible
>to warn about it.

We don't need to catch anything.  We simply need:

.if (${OSVERSION} >= 902510 && ${OSVERSION} < 1000000) || ${OSVERSION} >= 1000704
${ECHO} "You are using an unsupported release.  The ports tree may not
function correctly.  Please update to a supported release for the best
experience.  See http://.....freebsd.org/... for a list of supported
releases.
.endif

Obviously the versions are not correct, but, again, the goal is to give
people something to work with.  Just like what we did with the PKGNG
warnings.

-r

--
Ryan Steinmetz
PGP: 9079 51A3 34EF 0CD4 F228  EDC6 1EF8 BA6B D028 46D7