Could you explain perllocal.pod issues?

Anton Berezin tobez at tobez.org
Fri Jun 24 07:25:09 GMT 2005

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 12:00:31PM +0900, gnn at freebsd.org wrote:
> Hi,

> > > perllocal.pod should not be used at all by FreeBSD ports.

> > OK, I'm a bit clueless on this really, if you could spell out the
> > issue then I might be able to fix it.

> AFAIK the port should not be creating or touching perllocal.pod at
> all, because it is superfluous for FreeBSD ports and only exists to
> clutter the filesystem. You could check with the experts at
> perl at FreeBSD.org if you want more specific advice.

Unfortunately I cannot find the port you are talking about from this
description.  That does not matter, though, I can use some assumptions.
:-)

The pure p5 ports have this issue handled automatically by this piece of
bsd.port.mk magic:

.if defined(PERL_CONFIGURE)
.if !defined(PERL_MODBUILD)
    @cd ${CONFIGURE_WRKSRC} && \
        ${PERL5} -pi -e 's/ doc_(perl|site|\$$\(INSTALLDIRS\))_install$$//' Makefile

This fixes up Makefile generated from Makefile.PL in such a way so it
does not write to perllocal.pod any longer.  (The actual substitution
removes suspect targets from the right hand side of make rules
everywhere, so that those targets are never built)

So there are two cases when this won't work:

1. We are dealing with a pure p5 port that uses Module::Build instead of
   the usual Makefile.PL.  I don't think this is the case;  besides,
   mat@ took care of that a couple of days ago, if I remember correctly.

2. We are dealing with a normal port (no PERL_CONFIGURE defined) that
   has some Makefile.PL-using parts/subdirectories.  In this case you
   are supposed to perform a similar magic by hand - in the
   post-configure phase.

Hope this helps,
\Anton.
--
The moronity of the universe is a monotonically increasing function. --
Jarkko Hietaniemi