Could you explain perllocal.pod issues?

gnn at freebsd.org gnn at freebsd.org
Fri Jun 24 05:47:14 GMT 2005

Hi,

This is from a recent exchange with Kris, one of the ports gods:

On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 12:03:01AM +0900, gnn at freebsd.org wrote:
> At Tue, 21 Jun 2005 10:42:17 -0400,
> Kris Kennaway wrote:
> >=20
> > [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> > On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 10:36:28PM +0900, gnn at freebsd.org wrote:
> > > Hi Kris,
> > >
> > > You marked the TAHI IPv6 conformance port as BROKEN due to:
> > >
> > > BROKEN= Installs perllocal.pod file
> > >
> > > As far as I can tell the newest version (3.0) does a >> into that
> > > file, i.e. appends.  Can you tell me more about this?  I might want to
> > > upgrade it.
> >
> > perllocal.pod should not be used at all by FreeBSD ports.
> >

> OK, I'm a bit clueless on this really, if you could spell out the
> issue then I might be able to fix it.

AFAIK the port should not be creating or touching perllocal.pod at
all, because it is superfluous for FreeBSD ports and only exists to
clutter the filesystem. You could check with the experts at
perl at FreeBSD.org if you want more specific advice.

Kris

So, can someone explain the issue to me?  Then I can fix the port as
no one else has been forthcoming to.

Thanks,
George