OpenOffice.org 2.0 Installation Warning

Bartosz Fabianowski freebsd at chillt.de
Fri Nov 4 17:58:29 PST 2005

> /usr/include/machine/_limits.h:95:1: warning: this is the location of
>  the previous definition

Looks harmless. OpenOffice.org is a huge beast (just think about the
~10GB of disk space it needs to build) and its code certainly isn't
flawless. As long as the build doesn't break and you don't feel like
hacking on the code to get rid of that warning, just ignore it.

> Is this long build time common?

It's probably not quite "common" because most people who build OO.o from
source have much faster hardware. On the kind of CPU you have, this
compile time doesn't seem unrealistic. If you want it to be faster, you
could try using ccache next time (add -DWITH_CCACHE to the build command
line).

> this is being built on a separate disk from the rest of the system
> and tools; could this be slowing things down?

No. If anything, it should make the build go *faster* because reads for
system utilities, libraries and headers don't interfere with reads and
writes of OO.o code. But the difference is most likely not even
noticeable. The bottleneck in compilation is CPU power, not I/O. If you
got a faster CPU, *that* should make the build go faster.

- Bartosz