devel/icu update nuisances

Tijl Coosemans tijl at FreeBSD.org
Thu Aug 21 20:28:08 UTC 2014

On Tue, 19 Aug 2014 08:59:35 +0700 Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
> Hi there office@,
>
> I've just performed the dreaded update of devel/icu again, and of course
> (as usual) it broke stuff all over the place.  This is getting annoying.
>
> ICU manages to sneak into many executables, in a form (for example) of
> libicu*.so.52, but under /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg me and ldconfig(8) can
> one see these libicu*.so.52.1.  Every time I have to manually make those
> symlinks (.52 -> .52.1), otherwise many ports won't run until I rebuild
> them.
>
> If this a known phenomena?  Is portupgrade(1) not doing good job with
> devel/icu (missing symlinks) or it's my local issue?  Thanks,

I suspect you have the COLLATION_FIX option enabled in devel/glib20.
This makes everything that links to glib20 also link to icu.  Because
this option is off by default these ports don't get a revision bump
when icu is updated.  This propagation of icu will be fixed when
glib20 switches to USES=libtool, which should happen together with the
gnome3 import.