devel/icu update nuisances

Alexey Dokuchaev danfe at nsu.ru
Tue Aug 19 01:59:15 UTC 2014

Hi there office@,

I've just performed the dreaded update of devel/icu again, and of course
(as usual) it broke stuff all over the place.  This is getting annoying.

ICU manages to sneak into many executables, in a form (for example) of
libicu*.so.52, but under /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg me and ldconfig(8) can
one see these libicu*.so.52.1.  Every time I have to manually make those
symlinks (.52 -> .52.1), otherwise many ports won't run until I rebuild
them.

If this a known phenomena?  Is portupgrade(1) not doing good job with
devel/icu (missing symlinks) or it's my local issue?  Thanks,

./danfe