Bumping libreoffice

Dominic Fandrey kamikaze at bsdforen.de
Fri Feb 8 20:04:37 UTC 2013

On 08/02/2013 20:08, Chris Rees wrote:
> On 8 February 2013 18:50, Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze at bsdforen.de> wrote:
>> Please take note of Porters' Handbook section 5.2.2.1.
>>
>> Build fixes are NOT a reason to bump portrevision!
>
> Bash completion was also added, so the package did actually change :)

I just have to cite the Porters' Handbook here:
> A rule of thumb is to ask yourself whether a change committed to a
> port is something which everyone would benefit from having (either
> because of an enhancement, fix, or by virtue that the new package
> will actually work at all), and weigh that against that fact that
> it will cause everyone who regularly updates their ports tree to be
> compelled to update. If yes, the PORTREVISION should be bumped.

I don't know who wrote this, but I feel like printing it, putting
it into a frame and mounting it above my desk. Who ever you are,
you are a poet, a true master of the craft. Your words fill my mind
with beauty and serenity!

On 08/02/2013 20:08, Chris Rees wrote:
> Obviously you're annoyed at having to rebuild, and I understand that,

It's more like an itch that I finally scratched, because it's hardly
the first time that happened.

> but standard practice is to bump whenever the resultant package
> changes, which in this case it did- up to date packages should be
> built on the package building machines.

I had an elaborate piece on the extremely frequent and extensive
command line interaction of the average bash user with libreoffice
in this place. But I thought I can as well leave that to your
imagination. :D

> Whether or not the change was *really* worth it is neither here nor
> there, but I might recommend that you do what I do and simply hold
> libreoffice (along with other monster ports) and update it manually.

I kinda feel obliged to keep those up to date:
http://wiki.bsdforen.de/anwendungen/libreoffice_aus_inoffiziellen_paketen