Audigy 2/FreeBSD 4.9

Dave xtalsinger at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jan 29 14:44:47 PST 2004

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 08:05:06 +1000, you wrote:

>However I still didnt have sound, when I did a dmesg I found that my Audigy
>card was attached to the pcm1 device node, this is because I had until now
>been using the onboard sound wich was attached to pcm0. All I did to fix this
>was reboot and go into the bios settings and disable onboard sound, when it
>rebooted and went into FreeBSD I had sound through my Audigy card.

You know something?  That was an excellent post.  If only there was more
like that.

I had a hell of a time trying to get the onboard sound working on an Intel
Chipset MB  (Intel 82845G)

Googling didn't find much, least of all the audio chipset in use.

After reading all the man pages I could find for all the available sound
drivers (not all exist) I just loaded up every sound driver module and
found that sound was now working.  So I removed the first half of them
from the list in loader.conf.  It still worked.  Removed half again.
Still worked.

I ended up with snd_ich.ko as being the one I needed but only if
snd_pcm.ko is also loaded.  There's no manpage for snd_ich so i was pretty
much working in the dark.  Much of what I found on the net about snd.ich
related to problems with using it, not what chipsets it supports.

Anyway, having it loaded it, dmesg gives me:

pcm0: <Intel ICH4 (82801DB)> port 0xdc00-0xdc3f,0xe000-0xe0ff mem
0xdff7b900-0xdff7b9ff,0xdff7ba00-0xdff7bbff irq 17 at device 31.5 on pci0
pcm0: <C-Media Electronics CMI9739 AC97 Codec>

So at least I now know what sound chipset I have :-)

Yes, I learned a lot from the experience, but not all users *want* or
*need* to know that level of detail.  They just want to find the
information and "make it work"

One of these days I'll get around to creating at least a basic man page
for snd_ich and see if anyone wants to commit it or whatever it is that
happens with man page updates additions.

Sorry.  That sounds a bit like a rant.  It's not meant to be.  I'm just
gratefull that there are people like you prepared to take the time to
explain things fully rather than just give a link and say "RTFM".
Especially if there isn't an M to R as in my case :-)

Dave

--
Any speling misteaks are the reult of a bad insallation of mod_spelink.