Good FreeBSD books

Nikolas Britton freebsd at nbritton.org
Thu Jan 22 01:48:23 PST 2004

Vandalon, V. wrote:

>Hi,
>
>After trying a few linux distributions I ended up with something non linux, FreeBSD. I've been able to set it up as a server, but I am hungry for some in depth literature. I still don't feel as on top of the system as I want. So I am looking for some good books.
>I've seen this book (Greg Lehey's book "The Complete FreeBSD") passing by on the mailing list. But is it up to date? I can get edition 2003 so I guess it is up to date.
>
>Are there more and better books? I am quite a newbie in UNIX so it must cover also the basics.
>
>Regards Vincent

>Vincent Vandalon
>
>v.vandalon at student.tue.nl
>vincent at vandalon.nl
>+31-653534409

http://www.freebsd.org/projects/newbies.html

http://wks.uts.ohio-state.edu/unix_course/unix.html

Absolute BSD: The Ultimate Guide to FreeBSD by Michael Lucas, Jordan
Hubbard (Foreword)

The FreeBSD Handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html

Check the bargin bins for old UNIX Books, focus on the ones that are
based on BSD UNIX (Next/Openstep, SunOS/Solaris) and stay away from SysV
based UNIX (AIX, HP-UX, SCO, etc.) UNIX History:
http://www.levenez.com/unix/

And as allways google (and amazon) is your friend.