Speed ?

Benjamin Walkenhorst krylon at gmx.net
Wed Jan 21 10:56:47 PST 2004

Hello,

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 15:18:30 +0000
Julian Holley <julian at holley.uklinux.net> wrote:

> Hi folks - I recently installed FreeBSD 5.2 on an IBM TP 390x on which
> I have successfully run Linux 2.2.* for years now, but I notice that
> BSD seems to be distinctly slowly - I mean in regards to user interact
> - i.e. desktop development (as you can imagine it's not a server) ....
> this is not what I expected, I thought FreeBSD would be about the same
> or maybe faster (more snappy) - is this usual ? or do I have somat
> wrong with my installation ?  J

I can't tell you for sure, but 5.2 is behaving a bit laggy in some
respects on my Athlon XP 2400+ (2.000MHz actually) with 256MB RAM.
In summer had installed 5.0 on a Pentium III 450, and it seemed fast
like lightning compared to the (slightly modified) SuSE 7.3 Pro I had
installed on that machine. But then, SuSE is not exactly know for speed.
=)
On the Athlon, I have Slackware 9.1 installed, too, and I am
under the impression that 5.2 is just as fast, at best. =/

But in fact, it's behaving pretty well. There's just three things I
explicitly notice:
a) mounting NFS-shares from my second machine (Athlon 700, 160MB RAM,
NetBSD 1.6.2_RC4) takes some time... With Linux 2.4, 2.6 and NetBSD
1.6.1, this did not take as long.
b) starting graphical login at boot-time takes looooong. But then, I am
using kdm (because of the useful shutdown/restart-buttons), which very
well may just be slow to load.
c) When I press a button in XMMS (1.2.8), it takes about half a second
up to second before XMMS reacts. For example, if XMMS is in "pause" and
I press "stop", it resumes playing music for half a second, before it
stops...

But all in all, I'm rather happy. The ease of configuring and updating
the system just outweighs little performance issues for me. =)

Kind regards,

Benjamin