Speed ?

Johnson David DavidJohnson at Siemens.com
Wed Jan 21 10:14:58 PST 2004

On Wednesday 21 January 2004 07:18 am, Julian Holley wrote:
> Hi folks - I recently installed FreeBSD 5.2 on an IBM TP 390x on
> which I have successfully run Linux 2.2.* for years now, but I notice
> that BSD seems to be distinctly slowly - I mean in regards to user
> interact - i.e. desktop development (as you can imagine it's not a
> server) .... this is not what I expected, I thought FreeBSD would be
> about the same or maybe faster (more snappy) - is this usual ? or do
> I have somat wrong with my installation ?  J

Recompile the kernel, and make sure you remove the debugging options.
These are on in the default kernel, because it's still considered a
development kernel (stable is still 4.9).

Other tips: Make sure your filesystems are using softupdates, except for
the root filesystem if it is small (a subjective judgement). Rebuild
your ports, especially XFree86, KDE and GNOME, for your specific
architecture (586, 686, athlon, etc).

> also anyone else using FreeBSD on IBM laptops - as both APM and APCI
> seem to fail for my machine :(

I've got FreeBSD 5.2 on a Compaq Presario laptop, and ACPI is working
fine.

David