What about controllerless "hardware" modems?

Johnson David DavidJohnson at Siemens.com
Mon Jan 19 16:16:48 PST 2004

On Monday 19 January 2004 03:29 pm, Marin Krkac wrote:

> Because, as I've said already, if it doesn't work, I really
> don't see a point in running FreeBSD. There is no other way I can get
> on-line.

Regardless of whether this is a "hardware" or "software" modem, it
clearly is a modem designed to be used under Windows only. As such, I
call it a "winmodem".

Look at the FreeBSD FAQ
(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/faq/hardware.html#SUPPORT-WINMODEM) for a
couple of ports that might possibly help.

There are many ways to get online besides using one specific model of
modem. I know it's a pain in the butt, but you cannot buy Windows-only
hardware and then complain that you can't use it on another OS. (If you
just want to commiserate, you have my full sympathy, and if you are
ever in the area, I will buy you a beer).

Those of us who have been using non-MS operating systems for a while
have learned the hard and painful way that you must research your
hardware before you buy it. It's very annoying, but it's one of the
prices you pay for not using Windows.

p.s. When you do find a hardware manufacturer that specifically supports
FreeBSD, buy their product and go out of your way to thank them. It's
the only reason I am using an NVidia video card instead of ATI.

David