Good FreeBSD books

Dev Tugnait dev at unixdaemon.org
Sun Jan 18 06:07:41 PST 2004

I personally started off with Annelise Anderson;s book titled "FreeBSD An open source Os For Your Personal Computer - Seocnd Edition" It is very newbie friendly maybe a little outdated but things have not changed that much. The handbook on the website is another excelelnt resource. I also recommend Absolute BSD by Micheal Lucas once your comfortable with UNIX it will make a good read. As far the new Grey Lehley book i have'nt read it but it is based on freebsd 5.x Out of all the books the first one mentioned is the most newbie friendly and simple book to understand the basics. It doesnt cover all topics as you move on to an intermediate level, mostly the main topics are covered by Absolute BSd. So get them both if you can. Have fun!
* Vandalon, V. (V.Vandalon at student.tue.nl) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After trying a few linux distributions I ended up with something non linux, FreeBSD. I've been able to set it up as a server, but I am hungry for some in depth literature. I still don't feel as on top of the system as I want. So I am looking for some good books.
> I've seen this book (Greg Lehey's book "The Complete FreeBSD") passing by on the mailing list. But is it up to date? I can get edition 2003 so I guess it is up to date.
>
> Are there more and better books? I am quite a newbie in UNIX so it must cover also the basics.
>
> Regards Vincent

> Vincent Vandalon
>
> v.vandalon at student.tue.nl
> vincent at vandalon.nl
> +31-653534409

----++---
----------GnuPGPVer 1.2.3--------------------------------------------------                                   pub  1024D/B9046473 2003-11-21 Dev Tugnait (Freebsd) <dev at unixdaemon.org>
      Key fingerprint = F690 6725 1930 6FBE C05A  FE4D 6CB1 34C1 B904 6473
 sub  1024g/F8F019DF 2003-11-21