BSD Unix vs. Linux

Johnson David DavidJohnson at Siemens.com
Mon Jan 12 10:58:39 PST 2004

On Sunday 11 January 2004 11:19 am, Bill Campbell wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2004, Mazen S. Alzogbi wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have a question that is bothering my brains. Why do people need
> > Linux while there are great stable UNIX based systems as FreeBSD
> > out there?
>
> Desktop applications.

No need to use Linux just to get a desktop. I'm using KDE on FreeBSD at
work and at home. It's all the desktop that I need. It does KDE on
Linux does, because it's exactly the same desktop with exactly the same
features. Ditto for GNOME.

It is a bit harder to configure, but that isn't a problem in the
corporate workplace where you have dedicated sysadmins. I think the
only things keeping FreeBSD off of the corporate desktop are the
availability of professional support and comprehensive binary security
updates.

David