Kernel Name Issues

lrenfrow lrenfrow at arcomnet.com
Thu Sep 25 11:35:07 PDT 2003

Greetings FreeBSD Gods,

I've read though much documentation and I seem to be having some issues with a problem.
With all the latest security advisories going twords FreeBSD lately I wanted to ensure
I was on the correct release so I ran a uname -a and was presented with an output of:

FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE-p2 #0: Tue Sep  2 22:25:29 EDT 2003

Now this raises some concern for me.

I had cvsup'ed the latest sources this morning and UPDATING says p8 I've performed the build operations
stated in the handbook and in /usr/src/UPDATING which are:

remove /usr/obj/
Make buildworld
Make buildkernel
Make installkernel
Make installworld
Mergemaster stuff

All these operations complete successfully with no error.

My cvs-supfile is:

*default host=cvsup11.freebsd.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs    tag=RELENG_5_1
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
src-all

I've tried cvsuping the latest GENERIC kernel and building and installing that with no success..

Sysctl gives this about the release.

kern.ostype: FreeBSD
kern.version: FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE-p2 #0: Tue Sep  2 22:25:29 EDT 2003

the /boot/kernel directories  all have the correct date stamp

drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel  -   6144 Sep 25 12:22 kernel
drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel  -   6144 Sep 25 10:08 kernel.old

So why is this not updating..  It's still on a old kernel.

I've tried both methods of building a kernel

Cd /usr/src ; make buildkernel KERNCONF=NAME
Make installkernel KERNCONF=NAME

And the cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/ ; config NAME && cd ../compile/NAME ; make depend && make && make install

Still no success.. There's nothing in the sysctl or rc.conf that would restrict this from happening and I had set
the fstab file w/ no restrictions. I've don't this a million times and have never had this problem.

It appears though it really is on p8 but is not updating the uname display.. But i'm no programmer and i'm unsure how
that portion of the OS gets changed..  Any help would be greatly appriciated.