Portage tree

Chauncey Smith csmith at icdc.com
Sat Sep 27 11:03:54 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gil Agno Virtucio" <gihl at nesic.com.ph>
To: <bepratt at stcloudstate.edu>
Cc: <freebsd-newbies at freebsd.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 9:20 PM
Subject: RE: RE: Portage tree

> You'll propably need to use cvsup to do this. If you dont
> have it installed in your system you can install it from
> the ports.
>
> As root do :
> # cd /usr/ports/net/cvsup-without-gui/
> # make install clean && rehash
>

> then you can view and edit this file to give you an
> overview of what you need to do.
>
> # more /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile
>

> then after that you can copy it to anywhere yo want and
> edit it in my case i ussualy put it in tmp but you can put
> the config file where ever you wish.
>
> # cp /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile
> /tmp/ports-sup
> # cd /tmp && cvsup -g -L 2 ports-sup
>
> This is what you need for the cvsup file.. just edit the
> "*default host=" to which ever cvsup mirror is closer to
> your location
>
> example :
>
> # Ports update sup file..
> *default host=cvsup1.us.freebsd.org
> *default base=/usr
> *default prefix=/usr
> *default release=cvs tag=.
> *default delete use-rel-suffix
> *default compress
> ports-all
>

> hope this helps...
>

> btw Welcome to the FreeBSD World!!!

You can actually update the ports tree in 3 ways I've found and I used them
all at different stages of my FreeBSD Experience. The first way I found
maybe a little strange but I did it from /stand/sysinstall. Before I started
I deleted the ports tree. I then ran /stand/sysinstall and the media option
to FTP. I then went into configure then distributions. From there I can
select ports. A new tree is built after the FTP is completed. This method
isn't advanced or anything but it's the way I did it at first.

Second way I found was to FTP to the ftp.freebsd.org and poke around. I
never remembered the correct path but eventually I found ports.tgz file. I
was able to get that file then delete the old tree and then untar the file
and bang once again new ports tree.

The last and the current method I use is the CVSup process as described
above. This is the most advanced IMHO and it has the advantage of being
cronable (is that a word? The ability to be placed in to a cron and done
automatically). The best part about that is you spend less time actually
playing with the computer and more time using the computer. And adding
ports.

I hope that someone finds this post helpful.
Chauncey Smith