Problem with igb NIC on fresh 11 Install

Lee Brown leeb at ratnaling.org
Sun Oct 1 01:19:32 UTC 2017

OCR conversion is why the text is garbled.

It appears if the parent NIC has no address assigned to it, it remains in
the DOWN state.  Manually UP-ing the igb0 interface got the VLAN's working.

Adding VLANs to an interface doesn't UP the NIC and it took me a long time
to realize that.  Apparently I've never configured a pure trunk on FreeBSD
before!

The one-way traffic without VLAN (igb0 got an ip address so it went UP) was
because the switch's port configuration was intentionally blocking VLAN1
(aka untagged packets), which apparently means block egress but allow
ingress.

Thanks for the feedback Matt.