interface down, console output: igb3: TX(7) desc avail = 41, pidx = 308

Ben Woods woodsb02 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 01:33:42 UTC 2017

Morning!

Since my recent update from FreeBSD12-current r313908 to r315466, I have
noticed some strange behaviour with one of my network interfaces.

The interface seems to work fine for a day or so, but on a number of
occasions I have found it to be down, and constantly outputting the
following message to the console every few seconds:
igb3: TX(7) desc avail = 41, pidx = 308
igb3: TX(7) desc avail = 41, pidx = 308
igb3: TX(7) desc avail = 41, pidx = 308

The problem is quickly worked around by issuing the following commands:
# service netif stop igb3
# service netif start igb3

Details of this particular network interface card:
$ pciconf -lv | grep igb3 -A4
igb3 at pci0:0:20:1: class=0x020000 card=0x1f418086 chip=0x1f418086 rev=0x03
hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = 'Ethernet Connection I354'
    class       = network
    subclass  = ethernet

Any ideas what this could be, or how to investigate further?

Regards,
Ben

From: Benjamin Woods
woodsb02 at gmail.com