Does FreeBSD have sendmmsg or recvmmsg system calls?

Julian Elischer julian at freebsd.org
Mon Jan 4 06:23:20 UTC 2016

On 4/01/2016 5:32 AM, HuanHuan wrote:
> Hi Rui,
>
> There are no existing applications, but these two calls are for
> developing new application on 10G links.
>
> Currently I use netgraph, especially ng_socket node. And a simple
> recvfrom() on a ng_socket costs ~5us or so (200K per second). And
> there are many netgraph sockets. So it's good to reduce the time by
> ultilizing send/recvmmsg() if there are these two syscalls. Even a
> simple-loop like implmentation like linux's will be good as Luigi
> has suggested.

As the writer of netgraph I would like to point out that it was never
designed to be a high throughput service.
I'm happy thought that it CAN be used at these speeds but I designed
it for prototyping and for serial line speeds.
The idea was that once something was prototyped out, one would take
the code from all the modules used and create
a special purpose module that dd what you need.
The fact that people have not needed the last step is gratifying but
surprising.