ntpd bind() failure: Can't assign requested address

kit ktsin at acm.org
Tue Mar 26 14:39:47 UTC 2013

--- On Tue, 3/26/13, kit <ktsin at acm.org> wrote:
> --- On Tue, 3/26/13, Eggert, Lars
> <lars at netapp.com>
> wrote:
> > On Mar 26, 2013, at 12:59, <ktsin at acm.org>
> >  wrote:
> > > How do you configure your network interfaces?
> Using
> > /etc/start_if* or /etc/rc.conf?<br/>
> >
> > The latter.
> >
> > (Actually, most of them are configured in rc.local with
> > bit of shell code that generates the IP address from
> the MAC
> > address for a set of machines.)
> >
> > Lars
>
> i had seen the same error messages while trying to configure
> wlan0 using start_if.wlan0.
>
> i think that when an interface is first created, the flag
> ifdisabled is set by default. my guess is there exists a
> small window of time when the interface is up, ipv6 is
> configured but marked ifdisabled, and if ntpd happens to
> start during this period of time, you will see the failure
> messages.
>
> you may want to check your shell code again and perhaps the
> rc scripts too and see how they interact.
>
> kit

try setting ipv6_activate_all_interfaces to yes and configuring the corresponding $ifconfig_IF_ipv6 in your rc.conf if you haven't done so already, and see if they help.

from /etc/defaults/rc.conf:

ipv6_activate_all_interfaces="NO"       # If NO, interfaces which have no
                                        # corresponding $ifconfig_IF_ipv6 is
                                        # marked as IFDISABLED for security
                                        # reason.

kit