ntpd bind() failure: Can't assign requested address

kit ktsin at acm.org
Tue Mar 26 14:03:32 UTC 2013

--- On Tue, 3/26/13, Eggert, Lars <lars at netapp.com> wrote:
> On Mar 26, 2013, at 12:59, <ktsin at acm.org>
>  wrote:
> > How do you configure your network interfaces? Using
> /etc/start_if* or /etc/rc.conf?<br/>
>
> The latter.
>
> (Actually, most of them are configured in rc.local with a
> bit of shell code that generates the IP address from the MAC
> address for a set of machines.)
>
> Lars

i had seen the same error messages while trying to configure wlan0 using start_if.wlan0.

i think that when an interface is first created, the flag ifdisabled is set by default. my guess is there exists a small window of time when the interface is up, ipv6 is configured but marked ifdisabled, and if ntpd happens to start during this period of time, you will see the failure messages.

you may want to check your shell code again and perhaps the rc scripts too and see how they interact.

kit