FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE + bge0 == watchdog timeout

YongHyeon PYUN pyunyh at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 07:29:54 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 12:44:33PM +0600, Eugene M. Zheganin wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On 13.03.2013 07:57, YongHyeon PYUN wrote:
> >
> > If your controller supports ASF/IPMI access please apply r248226
> > to stable/8 and let me know whether that makes any difference.
> > I believe ignoring ASF/IPMI firmware is not good idea since the
> > ASF/IPMI firmware will run regardless of hw.bge.allow_asf loader
> > tunable configuration.  You may have to set hw.bge.allow_asf=1
> > since it's off by default on stable/8.
> I'm sorry, but obviously my C skills are way to low to make a local MFC
> of if_bge.c - it differs way too much from the 8.3-STABLE version, and
> it affects lots of other stuff (mostly in /usr/src/dev/mii and
> /usr/src/sys/sys). I tried to do this, but I failed completely. Could

I thought you were using stable/8 but it seems you have slightly
older stable/8. The bge(4) code difference between CURRENT and
stable9/stable8 is very minor.

> you please do a patch for me or can this be really MFC'd ? I got a bunch
> of bge timeouts on a 8.3-STABLE machine we talked about earlier just
> this morning. I really think this may become a problem for other people
> too. Yup, there's another option - to upgrade to 9.x, but right now I
> have unresolved issues with 9.x.

I've attached diff against stable/8 which will address ASF/IPMI
issue but I'm not sure whether it helps watchdog timeout or not.
I have plan to MFC the change but I need time for settlement before
the MFC.