ipv6 default router Operation not permitted

Schrodinger schrodinger at konundrum.org
Wed Mar 13 12:52:28 UTC 2013

On 2013/03/13 12:27, Mark Martinec wrote:

Hi Mark,

> On Wednesday March 13 2013 10:17:27 Schrodinger wrote:
> > ifconfig_re0_ipv6="inet6 2001:41D0:2:E7c4::1 prefixlen 64"
> > [...]
> > Voodoo, indeed... I'm sure there's a /48 used somewhere but to be more
> > specific, or rather obvious, my default gateway resides at the boundary
> > of a /56 - 2001:41D0:2:E700::/56
>
> Having multiple IPv6 subnets on the same wire is asking for trouble.

This isn't my network so I don't have any input into the matter. This
is the OVH configuration for their dedicated servers, at least in my
product range.

> For example, I believe an ICMP redirect still (in 9.1) does not create
> a temporary route:
>   http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=152791
> which beat us hard time (random unreachability between hosts),
> having to rearrange that legacy segment which happened to have
> two subnets on the same wire.
>
> The static routes destinations must be directly reachable (on-link).

Does adding the interface route not put the default gateway on-link
though ?

> Either use a single /56 for the whole LAN, adjusting the prefix
> length on each interface, or provide a router within each subnet.

If I am to change my prefix length to /56 this means that anyone else in
that /56 who is configured with a prefix length of 64 will be routing to
me and I will be swicthing to them.... This could cause problems.

> Doing otherwise (like using static ndp/arp entries) is just a hack.

Agreed, I had no intention of fixing the problem this way.

C.
MSN: schro5 at hotmail.com
ICQ: 112562229
GPG: http://www.konundrum.org/schro.asc