ipv6 default router Operation not permitted

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec+freebsd at ijs.si
Wed Mar 13 11:36:27 UTC 2013

On Wednesday March 13 2013 10:17:27 Schrodinger wrote:
> ifconfig_re0_ipv6="inet6 2001:41D0:2:E7c4::1 prefixlen 64"
> [...]
> Voodoo, indeed... I'm sure there's a /48 used somewhere but to be more
> specific, or rather obvious, my default gateway resides at the boundary
> of a /56 - 2001:41D0:2:E700::/56

Having multiple IPv6 subnets on the same wire is asking for trouble.

For example, I believe an ICMP redirect still (in 9.1) does not create
a temporary route:
which beat us hard time (random unreachability between hosts),
having to rearrange that legacy segment which happened to have
two subnets on the same wire.

The static routes destinations must be directly reachable (on-link).

Either use a single /56 for the whole LAN, adjusting the prefix
length on each interface, or provide a router within each subnet.

Doing otherwise (like using static ndp/arp entries) is just a hack.

  Mark