Default route changes unexpectedly

Nick Rogers ncrogers at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 17:07:51 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 12:25 AM, Andre Oppermann <andre at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 05.03.2013 18:39, Nick Rogers wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am attempting to create awareness of a serious issue affecting users
>> of FreeBSD 9.x and PF. There appears to be a bug that allows the
>> kernel's routing table to be corrupted by traffic routing through the
>> system. Under heavy traffic load, the default route can seemingly
>> randomly change to an IP address that is not directly connected to the
>> network (i.e., is not configured anywhere). Dhclient is not in the
>> mix, nor is routed, bgpd, etc. Running `route monitor` shows no
>> evidence of the change in the default route. The one commonality
>> between all the systems experiencing this problem seems to be the use
>> of PF.
>>
>> Obviously this is a serious problem as it causes all Internet-bound
>> traffic to stop routing until the default route is corrected. Some
>> users, including myself, are working around this problem by installing
>> a script that runs multiple times a second to check if the default
>> route is incorrect and fixing it if necessary, which mitigates the
>> amount of downtime caused by the bug.
>

> Can you describe your traffic forwarding setup in more detail?
> Is it only pf, or do you run netgraph, or other things as well?
> Do you use flow routing?

I use PF for NAT, filtering, and rdr rules. ALTQ for bandwidth
management. I do not use netgraph. I use vlans. PF redirects to squid
as a transproxy. I'm not familiar with flow routing so unless its
enabled in 9.1 by default I do not use it.

> How frequent does this happen?
Every other day during periods of heavier Internet-bound traffic.