Atheros AR9002U-2NG based TP-LINK TL-WN822N Ver:2.0 - adding support to FreeBSD

CeDeROM cederom at tlen.pl
Thu Jul 18 15:39:02 UTC 2013

Hello :-)

I have just bought USB WiFi b/g/n dongle from TP-LINK model TL-WN822B
Ver:2.0 [1] which use following chipsets: Atheros AR9002U-2NG, Atheros
AR7010, Atheros AR9287. It looks nice bacuse it cost ~20EUR it has
external antennas and has very good opinions. Now, I start to think
that finding Ver:3.0 based on RTL8192CU [2] might be a better
choice..? Still I consider Atheros to be a better solution than
Realtek..?

I have made simple modification of /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/usbdevs and
/usr/src/sys/dev/usb/wlan/if_uath.c to get it recognised, but uath
driver seems to only support AR5005UG according to manpage. Is there
any known driver to operate AR9002 chips?

Here is what dmesg shows after my kernel modification/rebuild:

ugen1.3: <ATHEROS> at usbus1
uath0: <ATHEROS USB WLAN, rev 2.00/2.02, addr 3> on usbus1
uath0: could not allocate USB transfers, err=USB_ERR_NO_PIPE
device_attach: uath0 attach returned 12

So it looks this driver will not operate with this chipset..?

Any hints appreciated! :-)
Tomek

[1] http://wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_TL-WN822N_v2
[2] http://wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_TL-WN822N_v3